Friday, April 15, 2011

Spring is for Sprouting

My seed starting is well underway, and for me, it's a very exciting and hopeful thing.  It truly is a little miracle to put a seed in some soil, give it light and water, and watch the magic.  Life.  Food.  A little bit of the Heavenlies here on earth.  
I've got seven varieties of peppers coming along.  Golden Marconi, Emerald Giant Bell, Tam and Coyame Jalapenos, Hungarian Hot Wax, Pepperoncini and I'm very excited about the Fish Pepper.  

I'm also starting oodles of tomatoes, a 9-pack of 11 varieties.  I know, I know, come August I'll be begging for someone to take me out behind the compost pile and whack me with a hoe to put me out of my misery.  I'll only keep one or two of each, the rest will go to the Master Gardener plant sale and the church plant exchange.  Or, I can rely on my old standby zucchini adoption trick and leave them in unlocked cars.

I've chosen to plant only heirloom tomatoes this year.  Having both hybrids and heirlooms last year, the hybrids just couldn't compare in flavor.  I'm not going to bother with them this year.  I'm growing:  Basrawya, Red Fig, Korean, Cherokee Purple, Black Prince, Green Zebra, Tigerella, Sioux and my old standby's Howard German, German Strawberry, Pink Brandywine.  

I have 12 Calabrese Broccoli plants, of which I'll keep maybe 8.  Also some flowers for fillers between perennials such as marigolds and ageratum.  My butterfly weed hasn't direct sown very well in the past, so I'm trying it indoors first.  I'm really looking forward to my Red Leaved Hyacinth Bean.

I've ordered most of my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  A wonderful company that stands for the preservation of heirlooms and independent farmer's rights.  

Happy Spring!
Cheers,

Donna


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They let me know there really is someone reading my little bitty blog. Please leave me your thoughts, I cherish them.