Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ruthy's Buns and other good luck charms...

I have the most wonderful memories of growing up with my mother's homemade rolls.  Walking in the door after school and smelling a table full of her sandwich buns fresh out of the oven could turn any bad day into a terrific one.  It was even better when she'd take that same dough and make cinnamon rolls.  Oh, my eyes mist over with the heady memories.  

I don't remember a store bought roll or cookie in our house before I was in Jr. High.  Mom made almost everything lovingly with her own hands.  I don't make quite as much as she did from scratch, but I try to show my love for my family in the same way, making quality food for them as best as I possibly can.  It sure worked on me!

The Steelers were in the AFC Championship game on Sunday and I was serving meatball sandwiches, salad and Buffalo chicken dip with chips and veggies for dippers.  I made that dip because I have teenage boys, and well, it seems to be the law.  I decided to make Mom's rolls for the meatballs.

I love mixing and kneading bread dough by hand.  My hands are the best judges of what the dough needs, not the mixer.  Besides, it makes me happy.

Maybe I should make them for the Steelers - that would ensure a Super Bowl victory!  Besides, Ruthy is their biggest fan.  :-)







Ruthy's Sandwich Buns

1 envelope or 1 scant tablespoon active dry yeast
1 t. sugar
1/4 c. warm water

1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt

2 c. warm water
7 c. all-purpose or bread flour (including flour for the board)

In small bowl, mix together yeast, 1 t. sugar and 1/4 c. water.  Let proof about 10 minutes.

In large bowl, mix oil, 1/2 c. sugar and salt.  In separate bowl, measure out 7 c. flour.  Add yeast mixture to oil.  Alternately, add of the some water and a few cups of the flour.  Beat well.  Then continue adding water and flour until dough is a workable consistency, but still a bit wet in the middle.  Soak bowl in hot water.

Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic.  Clean out bowl and grease well.  Turn dough into bowl, spinning to grease.  Flip over, greased side up.  Cover and let rise til double, about an hour.

Punch down, form into 3" balls, place on greased sheet pan a few inches apart and flatten.   Cover and let rise again, about 45 minutes.  Brush with an egg wash.  Bake in a 350 degree oven 20-25 minutes.

Best when gobbled up still warm and slathered with butter.


And thanks Mom, for everything.  xoxoxo

Go Steelers!

Cheers,
Donna

1 comment:

  1. I love your mixing bowl Donna! I also like making bread. the feel, the smell.. it's all so .. so.. fundamental! know what I mean?
    I'm going to try your mom's roll recipe, and I'll let you know how it goes over with the natives. They love any bread product that I make so I'm sure they'll love it! Thanks for sharing such a special recipe! You may think sometimes that only a few of us are reading this blog, but I assure you, I savor every word you type, and I love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! They let me know there really is someone reading my little bitty blog. Please leave me your thoughts, I cherish them.